Winter quilt and hello

Hello to those who have come through Sew Sisters blogathon. I hope you are enjoying the blog hop. You can find other Ontario quilters listed here and here.  I've been quilting since the mid 1990s. I started out sewing and giving the cotton scraps for my Mom. Eventually I started a quilt of my own and Mom lost the scraps but we had fun quilting together.

This quilt has been sitting in a box on the floor for two years. Its designed by two Canadian Quilters It's finally in progress. All the fusible pieces are cut and most are in place. There are a few stars and a snowman arm still to add but they overlap some seams so need to wait. Here are all the fused pieces waiting to be stitched

One snow flake is done. Only (?) 23 left to go.
This is an unstitched snow flake up close.
The big snowman is stitched and the threads are ready to be buried. I started to do the scarf last night but the thread broke and got messy so I quit and went to sleep. Hopefully it will place nice today
I finished the three hearts and have soaked, dried and pressed them. The left one used a Pellon wash away, the centre a fusible interfacing and the right a wash out stabilizer. The last was the easiest to prepare with the tools and had a nice edge to applique against. Surprisingly there wasn't as much difference between the three once the washout products were removed although the centre one is a tiny bit stiffer but not as much as I expected. The Pellon was a little thin and flimsy for the prep work so I think I'll save it for other uses.  The one I used was really meant for threadwork not applique.

Now to take what I've discovered and start preparing some of the back log of applique.  Love Entwined and a Christmas quilt are waiting for more prep work.  I'll probably stay with my freezer paper on top or traced shaped for large shapes but this glue basted method should be good for the smaller more intricate shapes.

Comments

  1. We used to have an orange ginger cat named Mars who loved to help me quilt. She passed away last year and I miss her presence alot. She was a true quilt kitty. We have a new to us cat but she is not quite as interested in quilting as Mars was. Your snowman quilt is a beauty. It will look great in your home during the winter season. Hope you meet lots of new to you bloggers and quilters on the blog hop.
    Regards from Alberta,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Its hard to loose a furry friend like Mars. I hope your new cat develops an interest in quilting and helps hold down lots of quilts for you.

      Delete
  2. Hi from Alberta on the Blogathon Canada blog hop! Yes, when the thread starts breaking is usually when I head for bed too. A wise decision. ;) I hope all went well today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thread behaved much better the next day. Leaving it was a really good idea. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. That is going to be a really fun quilt. Good work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from Bismarck ND USA on the Canadian Blog Hop enjoying seeing lots of talented creations!! Loved seeing your up close pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope you enjoyed the blog hop.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I do try to respond to comments.